– The first ever Presidential running mats'e debate got off to an embarrassing start
– There was only one candidate who showed up out of the expected six in the first phase of the historic event
– Muthiora Kariara, Japheth Kavinga’s running mate had the unrivaled pleasure of addressing the entire country in a debate televised on all major TV platforms
– Other running mates skipped the event citing lack of consultations by the organisers of the historic affair
– Many Kenyans expressed mixed reactions on the development
– The debate had been split into two with another featuring running mates of the two major presidential candidates- Uhuru and Raila Odinga
The Presidential running mats'e debate was off to a shambolic start after only one person showed up for the historic event, despite the much publicised occasion on Monday, July 17.
Muthiora Kariara- Japheth Kavinga’s- running mate, was the only candidate at the podium at the time the debate commenced on Monday, July 17 at 5:30 pm.
READ ALSO: Presidential running mates debate will go on without Ruto, Kalonzo
The move was a little bit embarrassing as Kenyans had anticipated to hear from potential future leaders in an event beamed live in all TV and radio stations.
The six who missed out had issued a set of demands to attend and ended up making good their threats.
They were against the organisers format of deviding the debate into two sessions- the first featuring six running mate and the second sessions featuring the running mates of the major presidential candidates- Uhuru and Raila.
The second session of the running mates debate is also in great jeopordy considering both William Ruto and Kalonzo Musyoka have indicated they might not show up.
If that is the case, the organisers- Debates Media Limited- will be left with egg on face as having poorly prepared the whole event.
Have anything to add to this article or suggestions? Share with us on email@example.com